This morning I finished this bag. It turned out very nice and is pretty darn cute in this adorable print from Michael Miller called "Gnome for the Holidays".
I forgot how great piping can be for making neat curves and helping give bags structure. I thought the bottom curves would be harder to sew, but with the piping foot it wasn't very difficult at all. The piping foot is fun to sew with--it really helps keep you on track and gives great results. Only one corner of this bag has a tiny pucker. That is close enough to perfect for me!
Going slow around the curves did help and I also did something a little different this time. That "something" really did make it possible to sew this neatly. It's a secret to share with you in the pattern--when the pattern comes out (not sure when).
This bag will stand up on its own and it also opens up nice and wide. Here's the lining:
For this one I lightly quilted the lining pieces with Quilters Dream cotton batting in the Request weight. Request is great for light quilting and super easy to sew.
I still haven't made it to the fabric store for fleece, but once I get more, the plan is to make this bag again using fusible fleece on the lining. It will go faster with fleece. Though I do think it it heavier and sturdier using the batting.