Here is my finished project for yesterday...a zipper pouch in a pinstripe denim fabric.
I made a couple skirts and grocery bags from this fabric, and all that's left is scraps. They aren't even big scraps, but that's ok because the bags in the Intro to Improv Zip Pouches pattern can be made with fairly small fabric pieces.
This one is Size 2 in the pattern. It's perfect for a small clutch, make-up bag, pen pouch, etc. It also fits so nicely in your hand!
The denim is from the Mill End Store and is apparel fabric, so there isn't any identifying info. It's lined in a cotton lawn from Robert Kaufman's Lennox Gardens collection.
Over the last few days I've been stitching together these small patchwork blocks. I have a plan for them, but need to make at least 11 more, and since the project is low priority compared to some other things I'm working on, it's possible they'll just be blocks for a bit.
These are basically the same idea as the Patchwork Coasters, but they aren't pieced to a foundation.
While I had the scraps out, I put together another scrap bag and added it to my etsy shop here.
I bought the floral fabric at Fabric Depot a few weeks ago and I think the bolt listed Yuwa as the manufacturer, but doesn't have any info on the selvedge and I can't find this print online. Anyway, it's very pretty.
I tend to use a Log Cabin patchwork layout, but sometimes break up some of the "logs" by piecing together smaller pieces, and I don't always adhere to a strict layout. If you have experience sewing a Log Cabin block, you can see in the photo below where I have varied from how it usually goes together.
After I've sewn the patchwork piece, but before cutting it down to size, there is something that needs to be done: basting the edges.
So I trace out the outline of the bag body and then stitch 1/8" inside the outline all the way around the edges. This keeps the seams from starting to split open after it's cut or while it's being sewn.
Most of the time they don't split, but when they do it's kind of a pain, and they might need to be resewn. I just avoid any possibility of splitting by basting the edges.